20.2.14

"MEMORY" and "WORDS" by W. B. Yeats in Greek



MEMORY

One had a lovely face,
And two or three had charm,
But charm and face were in vain
Because the mountain grass
Cannot but keep the form
Where the mountain hare has lain.

Yeats, Poems, selection by Peter Washington, Everyman’s Library Pocket Poets, London 1995, p. 96

ΜΝΗΜΗ


Ένας είχε ένα γλυκό πρόσωπο,
Και δυο ή τρεις είχαν γοητεία,
Αλλά γοητεία και πρόσωπο δίνανε σκιαμαχία
Επειδή τα αγριόχορτα
Μπορούν μόνο να κρατήσουν το σκαρίφημα
Εκεί που κείται ο λαγός στης γης τα ηχεία.



WORDS

I had this thought a while ago,
“My darling cannot understand
What I have done, or what would do
In this blind better land”.

And I grew weary of the sun
Until my thoughts cleared up again,
Remembering that the best I have done
Was done to make it plain;

That every year I have cried, “At length
My darling understands it all,
Because I have come into my strength,
And words obey my call”;

That had she done so who can say
What would have shaken from the sieve?
I might have thrown poor words away
And been content to live.

Yeats, Poems, selection by Peter Washington, Everyman’s Library Pocket Poets, London 1995, p. 56 


 ΛΕΞΕΙΣ

Έκανα αυτή τη σκέψη λίγο πριν,
«Η αγάπη μου δεν μπορεί να κατανοήσει
Τι έχω κάνει, ή θα έκανα
Σε αυτήν την τυφλή πικρή κτήση».

Και κουράστηκα από τον ήλιο
Ώσπου οι σκέψεις μου καθάρισαν πάλι,
Στη θύμηση πως το πιο καλό μου κειμήλιο
Ήταν η πράξη να μη μιλήσω με σπατάλη·

Κάθε χρόνο που έχω κλάψει, «Πέρα για πέρα
Η αγάπη μου τα κατανοεί όλα,
Επειδή έβαλα στο σθένος μου βέρα,
Κι οι λέξεις ακούν την κραυγή μου φλογοβόλα»·

Αν αυτή είχε έτσι φερθεί ποιος να πει εδώ
Τι θα έτρεμε απ’ το κοσκίνισμα;
Ίσως έπρεπε πτωχές λέξεις να ξεφορτωθώ
Και να μου έφτανε που ζω για αντίκρισμα.





Translation into Greek
Antigoni Katsadima

 

No comments:

Post a Comment